What is to do with a Muslim who is laying on the deathbed?
- The dying person has to be lay down in the direction of Mecca in one of two possible ways. The dying person can be lay down on the right side and the face in the direction of Mecca. Otherwise the dying person can be lay on the back and the feed are in direction of Mecca. Therefor you have to lift his/her head a little bit, so that also the face is in the direction of Mecca. The first way is the best practice.
- The dying person has to be remembered to the confession of its faith: “There is no other divinity than Allah, Muhammad is his prophet.” This should be done in a decent and respectfully way. To not disturb the dying person, the reminder shouldn’t be repeated constantly as well. One should not force him or her to do so, because respect for the dying and calm must be observed. As a matter of respect and keeping calm, it’s important not to urge the dying person to the confession. In a case of weakness or comma, the brothers and sisters can repeat the confession in his/her place.
- In the moment of death, the most closed family member watches beside the dying person and reminds him/her of the petitionary prayer for the forgiveness for his/her sins and reminds him/her to the testament.
- The prayers for the dying person and for his/her Helps should be numerous. The Qur’an and specifically the SuraYasinhas to be repeated instantly. To not agitate the dying person the repetition should be done quietly and respectfully. The recitation ends with death, since the recitation after death isn’t a recognized practice.
- We consider the relative who watch over the dying person, as to remind him/her of the beneficence of god, the Almighty, to strengthen his/her trust and faith in god’s almightiness. In the sacred Qu’ran we read: I am how my servant sees me.
What is to do after the moment of death?
- Close the eyes.
- To prevent the chin to sag, it must be bonded on the head.
- Put an appropriate object on the stomach, so it won’t swell.
- If possible, gently (!) Bend the joints immediately after death. If it’s possible, gently inflect the joints immediately after death. Inflect the hollow of the elbow and bring the arms near to the side. Then inflect the hollow of the knee. This position will simplify the ablution. This position of the body makes it easier to wash the body.
- Lift the deceased a little so that his/ her face is in direction to Mecca.
- Divest the deceased and coat him/ her with a big cloth that covers the whole body.
- The deceased’sdepts should be acquitted as fast as possible.
- As a matter of decency you should inform his/her relatives in order that they want to pay his/her last respect.
- It’s prohibited to mourn and cry out loud, to slap your face or to rupture your clothes etc. However it isn’t prohibited to shed tears. Mourning is a human expression of love and mercy towards someone else. This expression should be appropriate though. The mourning person should bear the misery patiently waiting for the consolation and reward of God. The deceased is a gift to God and the Almighty brought him/her to his side. Respecting the deceased’s dignity, the funeral should be prepared as fast as possible. After the deceased has been washed and dressed as required, the prayer of death has to be spoken.
- Respecting the deceased’s dignity, the funeral should be prepared as fast as possible.
- After the prescribed washing and clothing of the deceased, the funeral prayer is performed.
(Source: islam.ch )
We are here for You